Saturday, May 24, 2014

Irish waxed linen Blog Hop Reveal!

 IRISH WAXED LINEN CORD BLOG HOP REVEALED!

Thanks to Diana Ptaszynski (http://www.suburbangirlstudio.com)

for hosting this Irish waxed linen blog hop.  The idea for the blog hop came from Bead Cruise 2014 in which Erin Siegel taught a macrame class using the linen.  I didn't take the class but I did make a project from jewelry stringing magazine that Erin had designed and it was a lot of fun to use the linen.  


The main materials for my project were Irish waxed linen cord (yellow cord top left), C-lon (bright pink), a macrame project board, t-pins, a button for a finding, and long drop magatama beads. 

Diana suggested using an artist bead and I chose 5 beads by Basha (https://www.etsy.com/shop/bashabeads), which are a gorgeous olive with luminescent colors glimmering in the beads.




Making the necklace.




I started by measuring three Irish waxed linen cords and folding them in half, once for the button side and once for the button hole side. Using the C-lon cord I macramed for several inches, added a Basha bead, then used clusters of 3 drop beads, making a knot after each group. Thinking of spring, I used lime green, fuschia, and 3 shades of bronze.  Another Basha bead was added and more clusters were made.  


Now to add the large Basha bead and put all 12 core strands through the hole! That was a bit challenging and luckily it worked.  Next up was fringe.  I love fringe and had fun alternating strands of single drop beads with strands of clusters of beads.  The cord just wanted to be fringed and I kept knotting until there was a 
long and flowy fringe hanging from the necklace.













A close-up of the upper necklace.





Showing a little more of the top of the necklace and the start of the fringe.




Another close-up.




 The large Basha bead and the strands of fringe.





The whole necklace. The overall length of the necklace is 22" and the fringe is 10".







Ta da!  No one home to take a picture of the necklace on me, so I did a selfie.  







PARTICIPANTS:
(To see blogs listed below, click on the blog address and you will be taken to the blog link.)

Kelsy Vincent

Susan Kennedy

Linda Landig

Kashmira Patel

Jenny Davies-Reazor

Vanessa Gilkes

Sandy Huntress

Kay Thomerson

Sarajo Wentling

Kari Asbury

Rebecca Anderson

Melissa Trudinger

Ann Schroeder

Shai Williams

Kristen Stevens

Heather Boardman

Janet Bocciardi

Kathy Lindemer

Lesley Watt



Michelle McCarthy

Cynthia Deis



Sharyl McMillian-Nelson

Inge von Roos


Linda Younkman

Sandi Volpe

Toltec Jewels

Michelle Mach


24 comments:

Sarajo Wentling said...

Wow Susan! You have made yourself a gorgeous statement necklace! I love Basha Beads with all those wonderful colors... how perfect to go with your other beady goodness. Great color combo all around!

sandysewin said...

I adore your color combo of fuchsia and bright green. And all the fringe is just amazing!

Honey from the Bee said...

Luscious colors! I love the fringe and bet it was fun to make.

Ann Schroeder said...

Wow, this is a fun necklace! Love the colors, the clusters of beads and the fringe is the greatest!

Becky Pancake said...

Hi Susan, Your necklace is fabulous. I wish it was mine. You chose the colors well and I like your fringe.

Shai Williams said...

Great selfie!

I just love your necklace. It definitely makes a statement and looks like it would be so much fun to wear.

Diana P. said...

OMG that necklace is a stunner!!! I hope you'll wear this on Bead Cruise 2015 so I can see it up close! Love it!!!!!!!! So glad you joined in!

Kari Asbury said...

So gorgeous! Love the colors you chose and the design is fantastic!

KayzKreationz said...

This is drop dead gorgeous. I love the colors you choose and all the drops and then that gorgeous fringe at the end. It is so pretty. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do the clusters of beads like you did. I love the texture and color in this.

Cheryl said...

Love the necklace very stunning in you

aneri_masi said...

What? No rhymes? :P

Ok..but before anything else..I have to ask...HOW did you measure your cord?HOW? What's the formula?

Now that that's out of the way...omg! Such exquisite workmanship and beautiful design and luscious colors! LOVE everything about it...you're SO talented!

aneri_masi said...

What? No rhymes? :P

Ok..but before anything else..I have to ask...HOW did you measure your cord?HOW? What's the formula?

Now that that's out of the way...omg! Such exquisite workmanship and beautiful design and luscious colors! LOVE everything about it...you're SO talented!

Linda Younkman said...

WOW Beautiful work. I love this piece and the colors your used. What a fun piece to wear!

Michelle Mach said...

Wow, your necklace is beautiful! The color of the cord is the perfect accent for your beads.

SueBeads said...

Wow, that's so pretty and I absolutely LOVE the fringe!

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Susan,
Your necklace is beautiful! I love the waterfall of beads below the focal bead.
Therese

Erin Siegel said...

My Susan! I said,"Oh, wow". When I saw your piece. This necklace is so impressive. It's absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the colors, the macrame knots, the beaded clusters and the long, long fringe! What a gorgeous piece. I can't wait to see you wearing this on the Bead cruise, so I can take a look at it in person!!!

baymoondesign said...

Great colors and design!

flowers said...

I like how your beads cascade in this piece. The colors pop, nice design.

KelsyC said...

There are so many cool layers to this necklace. The tassel is especially awesome. The colors really POP and it looks really great on.

KelsyC said...

There are so many cool layers to this necklace. The tassel is especially awesome. The colors really POP and it looks really great on.

PyxeeStyx said...

Gorgeous! The color scheme is so beautifully vibrant and I love that long fringy tassel. Very cool.

Jennifer Cameron said...

WOW! Very funky. I love the colors, the art beads and the fringe. Awesome

Anonymous said...

Fabulous necklace, quite the statement!